Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, shredded
- 0.5 lb bacon
- 4 strips smoked applewood bacon
- 10 tb butter
- 5 c milk, warmed
- 1 c celery, finely chopped
- 1 leeks, finely chopped
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 1.5 c flour
- 1 qt chicken stock
- 1.5 ts Tabasco Sauce
- 3 ts Worcestershire Sauce
- black pepper, freshly ground
- kosher salt
- 12 oz slightly warm ale
- Slowly heat milk.
- Brown the bacon (separately from the smoked bacon) first, then after it is rendered half way, add the smoked bacon and render together.
- Add the butter and melt.
- Add celery, onions and leeks, cook until translucent.
- Add flour and mix thoroughly to form a roux.
- Add chicken stock and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add warm milk and stir vigorously to thicken.
- Cook out roux until thickened (it should not have a starchy taste).
- Reduce heat to low, add cheese and stir until melted.
- Season with Kosher salt, pepper, Tabasco, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Just prior to serve, add warm ale.
This recipe is from Canada's Le Cellier in Walt Disney World